Saturday, August 28, 2010

There's No Place Like Home

I'm back in New Orleans after a week in New Jersey and it feels good to be home. Not to say that I didn't have a good time seeing family and friends, but every time I leave the city I start to get antsy after a few days and want to come home. It was my boyfriend's first trip to the northeast and overall it was a good experience. We went to Philly, NYC, the Jersey Shore, and ate lots of pizza and other tasty things in good company. But I did experience one "cold water in the face" moment........in my mother's bathroom there was a scale and I couldn't resist the siren's call. Now, let me say, at this point, that I haven't weighed myself in a year and was living blissfully in that ignorance. Don't get me wrong, I was aware that I'm fat and had even been feeling like I've gained but, somehow, someway, not knowing that exact number allows you to live in the haze of denial. So, I stepped on the scale and waited for that digital number to appear. That number? Not good. In fact, it took my breath away. That number and worries about money kinda took the wind out of my sails on this trip. But, on both accounts, you just get back on the horse. Life goes on and the world isn't going to stop if I gain 5 pounds or I'm late on a credit card payment for the first time in my life. Plus....my boyfriend weighed himself on that scale, and when he did it again the next day it said he'd gained 10 pounds. See...I knew that scale had to be wrong. There's always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment