Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Not A Bad Way to Spend a Few Hours

This evening I attended the premiere of Spike Lee's "If God is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise" at the Mahalia Jackson Theater. "Creek" is Lee's sequal to the award winning "When the Levees Broke" and depicts where New Orleans is 5 years after Hurricane Katrina. Again, he did a beautiful job. The film was provocative, as expected, and didn't shy away from any of the political or social issues that hang over New Orleans like a permanent black cloud. I liked that Mayor Landrieu was in the audience watching and hope that he actually heard what people had to say. On a lighter note, I do have to point out....how much the Saints mean to the people of this city. The film opened with a segment on the Saints, including the key plays of our Super Bowl win, and the audience just went wild! It was like watching it for the first time - joyful and exuberant! The event was free, including a bar and appetizers, and there were a lot of familiar faces in the crowd (New Orleans is like a small town) including famous ones. Which brings me to another thing I love about New Orleans.....we treat celebrities with such indifference. Probably one of the things they love about it too.So, not a bad evening. Would have liked to go out for a bit afterward but I have to be at the spa at 8am for a meeting. Morning is not my favorite time of day. BUT I only have two days at work this week with my NJ vacation looming ahead.

Oh, and after all of my agonizing, quitting the retail job wasn't bad at all. Made the call on Saturday, Sunday was my last day. Simple as that...drama free.

No comments:

Post a Comment