Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Beginnings

A lot has happened since my last post, most of it stressful, some of it great. After perusing Craig's List diligently I found that most of the better apartments available in the neighborhoods that we wanted were of the 2 bedroom variety. And as luck would have it, I knew a close friend of my family who wanted to move here and thought this opportunity might nudge him in that direction. I was right and once we got the ball rolling it moved very quickly. So, we now have a roommate and are residents of the French Quarter. It was a lot of work but it feels pretty damn good. I'm loving the new apartment. It's behind a locked gate, we have a balcony, a courtyard, a bar right across the street, AND it only takes me 3 minutes to ride my bike to work. Couldn't ask for nuthin' better! Anyhoo, I'm glad the worst is over and I can't wait to get everything unpacked and organized.

During this whole mess I did manage to get out and about a bit. My mom, her best friend, and her best friend's son (who is our new roommate) came down for a visit. We ate out quite a bit and did get out to hear some music. When they arrived we went to Gordon Biersch for lunch (I know it's a chain but I love the garlic fries) then made our way to my boyfriend's workplace, The Gazebo, and let the drinking commence. It was a beautiful day, Ellen Smith was singing, and the booze was flowing. Later in the evening we headed to Frenchmen St. and ended up at Cafe Negril for more drinking & festivities. At around 2am I figured that, maybe, we should consider the fact that we had an appointment at 8am to view an apartment. As hungover as we were we did get up for that appointment and the guy didn't show. Ultimately, this is the apartment we ended up with after rescheduling our appointment. A few other places that are worth mentioning....The Magnolia Grill on Decatur - really tasty burger and a nice space. Adolfo's (my favorite) on Frenchmen - chicken stuffed w/ricotta, mozzerella, & spinach, topped w/ tomato cream sauce. Oh. my. God. Heaven on a plate. Jaeger Haus - jaeger schnitzel (fried pork topped w/mushroom cream sauce) & spaetzel. Awesome.

So, that's been the past month. Found an apartment, moved, had some good meals, and heard some music. I'm happy with the progress and glad to say good-bye to September 2010 while looking forward to what October brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment