Monday, October 18, 2010

Falling Into Place

After a difficult couple of weeks things seem to be progressing nicely. I have unpacked a bit each day and tonight, finally, emptied my last box. Still have some organizing to do and pictures to hang but it's starting to feel like a home. Aside from the unpacking and organizing there have been some other adjustments to be made (having to do with the overabundance of alcohol available right outside our gate.) but we seem to have gotten past them. Thankfully.

 I am incredibly thankful to have our kitchen up and running!!! I am so sick of eating crappy take-out food. Now, don't get me wrong, I like junk as much as the next person and I'm not normally a very healthy eater (I'm working on that.) but I've been eating so much crap that I'm finding myself craving vegetables and wanting to go buy some new sneakers and work out clothing. (Oh, and a new iPod since mine was STOLEN! Man, it's hard to let go of that resentment!!) My body and mind are protesting my greasy fat intake and telling me to eat better and get off my ass and move. And I'll admit, the health implications of a bad diet really do scare me. But not enough, it seems, to prevent me from eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Frequently. Idon't know....sometimes it seems that losing weight is an endless battle. But if I'm honest with myself, I haven't tried very hard. Because the formula is very simple....eat less, move more. And I haven't been successful because I like to eat creamy, cheesy, fatty, sugary foods and I'm lazy. Here's where I'm supposed to say that tomorrow I'm going to change things completely. But if it were that simple I would have done it long ago. I will only say that I will make a new effort and strive for the best.

I haven't gone out much at all. I'm one of those people who can't really concentrate on a good time if I have something to do waiting for me at home. Unpacking, for example. But last Saturday it was such a beautiful day I went out to run some errands. As I was riding through the Quarter I passed Tujague's, one of the older bars/restaurants in New Orleans. During French Quarter Festival (in April) they have a booth where they serve a fabulous beef brisket with horseradish sauce, and I had heard for years that they serve a brisket po' boy at their bar. It was lunch time and I decided to give it a try. Tujague's is really "old school",a standing bar but they do have a few tables. Unfortunately, they don't serve food until 5. I did stay for a few cocktails and bar tender Paul was awesome. Will definitely meander back one afternoon.

On that note, I'm gonna wrap this up. Boyfriend has my healthier dinner cooking in that kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment