Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Need To Focus

I had an unexpected day off today and actually got up off my ass and did some walking (meandering, really) in this heat and took in my surroundings. Met Mike for lunch at Louisiana Pizza Kitchen and had a tasty pepperoni pizza that negated the previous and any subsequent walking we would do but, hey, at least I made the effort. After lunch we picked up Lois (the dog) and continued on a short, sweaty walk through an area of the Marigny that I would LOVE to own a house in. We had looked in an apartment in this area before moving into the Quarter but the guy who got there before us also got the apartment. Don't get me wrong, I love the French Quarter, love being 2 minutes from work, and dread the thought of moving again.....but I wouldn't mind moving over there.

Anyhoo, it was good to get out of the house to just observe some beauty and occupy my mind. Since arriving home from NJ I haven't been sleeping well at night and have had trouble focusing. The news on my dad's health was not good. The original tumor found was not the only one, the cancer has metastasized and his heart problems aren't helping the matter. MY heart hurts for him and my mom. She tirelessly stays by his side for hours on end to make sure he is comfortable. It was an emotionally draining 5 days for me so I can't imagine what they are going through. And although I'm happy to be home, I feel uneasy and "off". Maybe that's what's fueling my thoughts of moving. I want to finally find my place, career, etc. because, as they say, life is short. Very short, folks. So, take a look around you and ask yourself if you're REALLY happy; and if those around you are happy. Anything less is a shame. You have to take care of your self and your happiness.  

As an afterthought....I wrote this previously but didn't get to post:

I finally made it out to Three Muses (with Mike and Valerie), a club on Frenchmen St. that specializes in small plates, cocktails, and music in an intimate setting. Open for less than a year, Three Muses is small, crowded, noisy, and enjoyable but they have no system in place for doling out tables. It is a free for all where first come isn't necessarily first served and can be quite stressful. It's hard to enjoy your company when you each have one eye surveying the room for movement indicating that someone is vacating a table. After finally securing a table, we ordered some food and all was right with the world again. The mushroom gnocchi with housemade ricotta were fantastic - the lightest gnocchi I've ever had; housemade fries with fontina cheese - perfect; the chicken masala flatbread had the glorious taste of fresh tarragon; creamy, delightful mac & cheese; all topped off with a banana mascarpone strudel. Very pleasant, indeed. The entertainment that evening was provided by Glen David Andrews, a local trombone player who is currently riding quite a wave of popularity. I enjoy seeing him work and find him to be a talented guy but I have one complaint.....he is constantly shouting "somebody scream!" throughout his set. Besides being totally outdated, (I keep waiting for him to start with "throw your hands in the air and wave 'em like you just don't care!") it just takes away from the show. Once or twice.....OK. Every five minutes.....annoying.

Overall, a good night out and I would go back. But I would hope for it to be less crowded.

No comments:

Post a Comment