Monday, April 2, 2012

Sometimes You Just Need To Call A "Do Over"

I haven't had a french fry since February.

I gave up fried foods for the Lenten season, even though I'm not anywhere near to being Catholic, in order to jump start my weight loss efforts. And I've stuck with it. No cheating. Even though I smell fried chicken or onion rings on every breeze that blows through my neighborhood. I can't say I really miss it either, and honestly, the thought of eating fried chicken and french fries makes my stomach hurt. It makes me envision all of that grease clogging my arteries. I'm in my 6th week of Weight Watchers and down nearly 12 pounds. Don't want to toot my own horn but I'm feeling successful. And I want more. I don't feel as sluggish as I used to, I have some spring in my step, and I'm feelin' good. (Well, except for last night when, in celebration of my birthday, my buddy Mike cooked for me and I ate so much glorious food and drank so much white wine that I was in physical pain for the remainder of the night. I wasn't feelin' good then.) I'm also sleeping better and waking up earlier in the morning. Feeling and seeing the results of my efforts makes me want to keep doing what I'm doing. And to even improve on what I'm doing, because the extra spring in my step still hasn't made me want to exercise. I'm lazy and I hate it, but I'm going to have to do it. And soon. I can already see the weight loss slowing down and I don't want to lose my momentum. I'm hoping I didn't do too much damage over the past two days and sabotage this week's weigh in, but I'm not going to let it get me down too much because life happens, and there are going to be celebrations in which you are meant to indulge.

On the subject of indulging, as far as birthday celebrations go, mine was pretty sedate. On Saturday morning I went to breakfast with a friend at Ruby Slipper Cafe. First visit. It's a cute place and was pretty crowded on a Saturday morning. I ordered Eggs Cochon (a large homemade biscuit topped with pulled pork, poached eggs, hollandaise, and fresh chives.) and a double mimosa. Definitely not WW friendly. I was pretty happy with everything except that I would have liked more hollandaise (A dollop sitting on top of each egg just wasn't enough of this decadent sauce!) and I thought 10 bucks for a mimosa served in a wine glass was a bit steep. I would go back though. After breakfast it was off to Walmart to pick up some area rugs to appease the downstairs neighbor (WooHoo, rugs! Happy Birthday to me!) and then to go get some flowers for the empty pots on my balcony. That was it for my actual birthday. No day long bender. No all night partying on Frenchmen Street. I didn't feel like it. On Sunday I woke up early, re-potted my plants, and then Mike came over and we hung out for the afternoon. It may not have been exciting but it was a pleasant way to spend the weekend. I guess I'm saving my energy because my mom and Aunt Renee arrive this Sunday and next week is French Quarter Fest! Now this is the week that I'm worried about when it comes to WW because I know I will be eating out a lot. But we'll be walking and on the go also, so I'm hoping it will all balance out. I've already been perusing the FQF music schedule and club listings and wondering how to be everywhere at once. It will be a great week of family, friends, music, eating, drinking, and festivities in the sun. And above all else, the good times are what matter the most. I want to lose this weight, (and I have a ways to go before I'm where I want to be) but not at the expense of fun times and making memories. I have the rest of my life to do WW, so I'm not going to require perfection of myself. Just effort. Being fat is not fun, but neither is deprivation. So I will enjoy my loved ones while making sure I get some exercise in. And I will not beat myself up over my caloric intake. Because life is meant to be fun and tomorrow always offers a "do over".

No comments:

Post a Comment